“Free-From” Business Spotlight: Surf Sweets, Organic, Non-GMO, Allergy-Free Candy
While I am guilty of having a sweet tooth, I do try to make smart choices when indulging in treats, especially candy. I’ve made it a rule to stay away from anything with high fructose corn syrup which immediately eliminates most brands of candy, until I stumbled upon Surf Sweets last year in Whole Foods.
Surf Sweets candies are gluten free, nut-free, soy-free, GMO-free, casein free, organic, and allergy friendly (free of the most common food allergens including wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, soy, fish and shellfish)!Â All Surf Sweets candy is produced and packaged in a dedicated nut-free facility (thank you!), and there are even six candies flavors that are vegan. I was lucky enough to speak with the President and Owner of Surf Sweets, Bert Cohen, about sourcing allergen-free ingredients, what Surf Sweets does to give back to the environment, how new candy flavors are dreamed up, and more! As a bonus for my readers, I’m also giving away a goodie box of Surf Sweets candy. Scroll to the bottom of the post for more information.
AFW: All Surf Sweets candy are free of the most common food allergens (wheat, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, egg, soy, shellfish) and are produced and packaged in an dedicated nut-free facility. Is it difficult to source allergen-free ingredients?
Bert: Yes, it can be! We have to be very careful in working with our suppliers. Adding our organic and non-GMO requirements makes it even more challenging.
AFW: What’s your favorite Surf Sweets candy?
Bert: It’s tough to say, but the Sour Berry Bears are probably still my favorite. They’re just the right balance of sweet and sour for me.
AFW: I’ve seen some amazing, creative recipes crafted using Surf Sweets products. What’s been the most creative one you’ve seen?
Bert: Colorful cakes colored with beet juice and decorated using our candies!
AFW: I love that you’re a member of 1% for the planet, which means that you donate a minimum of 1% of the sales from your products to a number of organizations that support environmental causes, including The Rozalia Project, Sustainable Surf, Climate Cycle, and Healthy Child Healthy World.Â What inspired you to want to give back?
Bert: Having two young children, I’m very concerned with how we leave the planet for them and their children. I wanted to do something tangible to make sure we are contributing to keeping the environment clean. I’m very proud of these partnerships and believe that we will be able to make an even greater impact in the future.
AFW: How do you decide on what your new products will be?
Bert: We have a product development team that meets monthly to discuss just this! We rely heavily on consumer feedback as well as take into account our own sweet preferences!
AFW: What are the plans for Surf Sweets in the future?
Bert: We want to continue to expand our product line and distribution, grow our support of environmentally-related causes, and increase our team size!
AFW: Describe Surf Sweets Candy in three words
Bert: Delicious, Inclusive, Fruity!
Thanks to Bert for taking the time to speak with me!
In the spirit of spring I used Surf Sweets to top my Strawberry & Vanilla Gluten-Free, Nut-Free Cupcakes, the perfect spring treat! Recipe is below.
The Allergy Free Wife’s Strawberry & Vanilla Allergy-Free Cupcakes
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter (Use Earth Balance to make dairy-free)
- 2/3 Cup Granulated Sugar (A healthier alternative is Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar which can be used as a 1-1 substitute for traditional granulated sugar )
- 2 large eggs (Use egg substitute Ener-g to make egg-free)
- 1 cup gluten-free flour (my favorite is this brand)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of milk (Use rice or coconut milk to make dairy-free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Whip butter & sugar together until it’s light & fluffy
- Add eggs, beat together well
- Sift in gluten-free flour, baking soda, and baking soda
- Stir in vanilla & milk
- Divide batter into either a 6-section muffin pan for large cupcakes, or 12-section muffin pan for smaller bite-sized cakes
- Bake for 15-18 minutes for 6-section muffin pan, or 12-15 minutes for 12-section muffin pan
- Remove from oven, cool in pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely
- Once cooled, frost with allergy-free frosting (I recommend Wholesome Organic Kitchen Vanilla or Strawberry), and top with your favorite Surf Sweets candy. Enjoy!
As a special sweet treat for my readers, I’m giving away a goodie box filled with a variety of Surf Sweet candy! Enter below!
a Rafflecopter giveaway